How to Replace a UV Lamp
How do I know when it’s time to replace the UV bulb?
Like most light bulbs, UV lamps dim over time. After 12 months, even if the lamp is still shining (hasn’t burnt out), the lamp needs to be replaced as it is no longer able to effectively treat water. Most UV lamps are designed to run continuously for about 9,000 hours (or 12 months) before losing their effectiveness.
Changing the UV lamp or bulb on time is very important, otherwise microorganisms may not be effectively treated.
As an additional precaution, the "ballast" or controller on many UV systems will give some indication that it’s time to change out the lamp. The indicator may be a green light on the controller or a low number that counts down from 365 until due for a replacement.
Keep in mind that there are many different UV manufacturers and the folllowing instructions are meant to be a general guideline. Always refer to the owner's manual for your specific UV system.
Instructions for Replacing a UV Lamp:
- Close all faucets and turn off the water supply.
- Press the pressure button to release the pressure from the cartridges.
- Unplug the power. There may be an alarm that goes off as a warning.
- Check to make sure the UV system is not too warm. You may want to allow the system to cool down for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the protective cover or safety cap (at the top of the UV system) by squeezing the tabs, but make sure the lamp plug wires remain connected.
- Remove the lamp plug, but make sure the strain relief wires remain connected.
- You may consider putting on latex gloves before removing the lamp or sleeve as the oils on skin can damage the UV lamp and sleeve.
- Remove the lamp/sleeve assembly along with the sleeve bolt from the chamber.
- Unscrew the UV lamp by holding the sleeve bolt.
- Unscrew the sleeve bolt and remove o-rings from the quartz sleeve.
- Clean or replace the quartz sleeve. To clean, use a cloth soaked in CLR, vinegar or some other mild acid. Rinse with water.
- Insert new o-rings and tighten the sleeve bolt to the quartz sleeve.
- Install and secure the new lamp into sleeve being careful not to over tighten which can break the sleeve.
- Insert and secure the lamp/sleeve assembly.
- Carefully align connections by rotating the ring clamp and installing the lamp plug.
- Insert the safety cap and plug the system in again.
- Open the faucets and turn on the water supply.
- Check for leaks.
- Perform the disinfection procedure per your owner’s manual.
If you own a VIQUA Ultraviolet Disinfection System, the following information will provide additional help.
Video courtesy of Viqua
Video courtesy of Viqua