Best Whole House UV Water Purifier
If you're searching for a way to purify your home's water to ensure it is free of waterborne microorganisms, a UV light water purifier is a great choice.
UV light water sterilizers are an effective way to disinfect water for your entire home. UV light can effectively disinfect water of viruses and bacteria, including fecal coliform or E. coli, Cryptosporidium, Cysts, Hepatitis B, Giardia, algae, and more.
Best UV Water Purifiers 2021 for Whole Home
We're going to review UV water sterilizers, which are designed to treat only living organisms. We generally recommend an "integrated UV system" that incorporates the power of UV water disinfection WITH a powerful pre-filter that can remove chemicals, metals, sediment, and improve the taste and odor of your water.
If well water is the source of your water, UV treatment is more important than ever. Contamination of well water is common and continual testing and well shocking is required to ensure the water is safe. UV water filtration treatment is an alternative to a well water filter system and has many benefits over chemical well shocking (and is much more reliable).
Many of our customers receive their water from a municipal supplier, but choose to add UV water sterilizer to their home water treatment to ensure their water is free of illness-causing microorganisms.
Viqua IHS22-D4 Review
The Viqua IHS22-D4 is a high-quality, integrated UV water filter system that is ideal for a wide variety of residential applications, including homes on municipal city water, well water or those that treat collected rainwater.
Because we do not manufacture the system, we've been in the water business since 2003, have sold thousands of UV water purifiers, and have received feedback from many, many customers over the years, we are able to give this unbiased review.
Feedback received from IHS22-D4 Owners. Here's why they like the IHS22-D4 UV Light Water Disinfection System:
- They like how the Viqua IHS22-D4 is an integrated “combo filtration system” that includes two filters.
- The Viqua UVMAX IHS22-D4 installs quickly and easily because it is shipped out mounted on a heavy-duty, steel bracket.
- The system as a whole is sturdy, well-built system, manufactured in North America.
- This is a “green” system; environmentally friendly as it adds zero chemicals to the water.
- Once installed, the IHS22-D4 system’s two 20″ 5-micron pre-filters provide powerful filtration for improving water taste by reducing sediment, lead, chlorine taste and odor.
- The UV part of this system is made of Stainless Steel, which has proven to be reliable in different temperature, pressure, and pH.
- The Viqua IHS22-D4 system comes with a safety cap and lamp plug to prevent unsafe access to the UV lamp.
- Maintenance of the IHS22-D4 is pretty simple. The lamp should be replaced annually, and the UV sleeve should be cleaned. Be sure to only use an authentic UV lamp in the system or the system can overheat and become damaged, thus voiding the system warranty.
- The systems’ audible lamp replacement reminder and countdown timer with digital display will remind you when this should happen.
- Indicator lights show the status of various system components and warning lights appear when system maintenance is required.
- The 12 GPM flow rate on the system allow it to easily provide enough water for the entire house.
Considerations when Installing the Viqua IHS22-D4
Although the IHS22-D4 incorporates Viqua’s popular D4 UV system, this integrated system does NOT come with the premium D4 controller with LCD screen. The system is also slightly more expensive than purchasing same individual components (but it comes assembled ready to be installed, so you’re paying a little more for convenience and time saved at installation).
If you have "hard water", the prefilters are not sufficient to address HIGH levels of hardness, and you’ll need to install a whole-house water softener in front of the IHS22-D4. The softener will not only protect and extend the life of the UV system, but also allow it to function effectively.
Viqua VH200-F10 Review
The VH200-F10 is a popular residential UV water filter system. With flow rates at 9 gpm, it produces enough water for homes with 1-3 bathrooms. The system features an end-of-life timer which counts down the days until the lamp should be replaced. Customers have installed this system on homes and cabins with municipal water, well water, and even rainwater catchment.
Feedback received from Viqua VH200-F10 Owners. Here's why they like about this UV Water Disinfection System:
Here is what our customers tell us they like about the Viqua VH200-F10:
- The system is mounted on a powder-coated, heavy-duty, steel bracket, making it easy to install.
- The VH200-F10 is economically priced.
- Improved taste: The 5-micron sediment and/or carbon prefilter is effective in removing sediment, dirt and other particulates to improve water taste and odor.
- In the second stage of the VH200-F10, water moves to the UV chamber where ultraviolet light kills 99.99% of viruses and 99.9999% bacteria, including e. coli and coliforms.
- The UV chamber is made of Stainless Steel which means it’s reliable in different temperatures, pressure, and pH, eliminating the possibility of deterioration from exposure to high-intensity ultraviolet light.
- As far as maintenance goes, an annual UV lamp change and sleeve cleaning is pretty much all that the system requires. As a safety measure, an alarm will sound if the UV lamp fails. This way, your family won’t consume water that hasn’t been properly treated.
Considerations when installing the Viqua VH200-F10
The Viqua VH200-F10 water disinfection system has a very simple controller with basic countdown timer and is not as user friendly as controllers on Viqua D4, for example. This system is slightly more expensive than purchasing the same individual components, but because it comes pre-assembled, ready to install, so you might pay less for installation.
The system cannot remove metals, hard water or chemicals. If you have hard water, you should install a water softener in front of the UV system, otherwise the system can foul and UV treatment will not be as effective.
Also, be aware that using inexpensive knock-off replacement lamps can void the warranty. Non-Viqua lamps have been known to melt, overheat and damage the UV system. Using the authentic, correct lamp with the system (S200RL-HO) will provide two times the output of standard lamps.