Best Whole House UV Water Purifier
Best UV Water Purifier for Your Whole Home
UV light water purifiers are an effective way to disinfect water for your entire home. UV effectively sterilizes water of viruses (99.99%), bacteria (99.9999%), fecal coliform or E. coli, Cryptosporidium, Cysts, and Giardia, and more.
Viqua IHS22-D4 Review
Pros of the Viqua IHS22-D4
The Viqua IHS22-D4 is a well-built, integrated UV system that is ideal for a wide variety of residential applications, including homes on municipal city water, well water or those that treat collected rainwater. Because we've been in the water business for 25+ years and sell multiple makes and models of UV water purifiers, we're able to give honest feedback.
Feedback we’ve received from IHS22-D4 Owners:
- They like how the VIQUA UVMAX IHS22-D4 is an integrated “combo filtration system” that includes two filters.
- The IHS22-D4 installs quickly and easily because it is shipped mounted on a heavy-duty, steel bracket.
- The system as a whole is sturdy, well-built system, manufactured in North America.
- This is a “green” system, environmentally friendly as it adds zero chemicals to the water.
- Once installed, the IHS22-D4 system’s two 20″ 5-micron prefilters provide powerful filtration for improving water taste by reducing sediment, lead, chlorine taste and odor.
- The UV part of this system is made of Stainless Steel, which has proven to be reliable in different temperature, pressure, and pH.
- The Viqua IHS22-D4 system comes with a safety cap and lamp plug to prevent unsafe access to the UV lamp.
- Maintenance of the IHS22-D4 is pretty simple. The lamp should be replaced annually, and the UV sleeve should be cleaned. Be sure to only use an authentic UV lamp in the system or the system can overheat and become damaged, thus voiding the system warranty.
- The systems’ audible lamp replacement reminder and countdown timer with digital display will remind you when this should happen.
- Indicator lights show the status of various system components and warning lights appear when system maintenance is required.
- The 12 GPM flow rate on the system allow it to easily provide enough water for the entire house.
Cons of the IHS22-D4
Although the IHS22-D4 incorporates Viqua’s popular D4 UV system, this integrated system doesn’t come with the premium D4 controller with LCD screen. The system is also slightly more expensive than purchasing same individual components, but it comes assembled ready to be installed, so you’re paying a little more for convenience.
If you have "hard water" the prefilters are not sufficient to address high levels of hardness, and you’ll need to install a whole-house water softener in front of the IHS22-D4. The softener will not only protect and extend the life of the UV system, but also allow it to function effectively.
Viqua VH200-F10 Review
Pros of the Viqua VH200-F10
The VH200-F10 is a very popular UV water filter system as it easily produces enough water (7 gpm) for homes with 1-3 bathrooms. What our customers tell us they like about the Viqua VH200-F10:
- The system is mounted on a steel bracket, and fairly easy to install due to its’ compact pre-assembled design.
- Our customers have installed this system on homes and cabins with municipal water, well water, and even rainwater catchment.
- The 5-micron prefilter is quite effective in removing sediment, dirt and other particulates to improve water taste and odor.
- In the second stage of the VH200-F10, water moves to the UV chamber where ultraviolet light kills 99.99% of viruses and 99.9999% bacteria, including e. coli and coliforms.
- The UV chamber is made of Stainless Steel which means it’s reliable in different temperatures, pressure, and pH, eliminating the possibility of deterioration from exposure to high-intensity ultraviolet light.
- As far as maintenance goes, an annual UV lamp change and sleeve cleaning is pretty much all that the system requires. As a safety measure, an alarm will sound if the UV lamp fails. This way, your family won’t consume water that hasn’t been properly treated.
Cons of the Viqua VH200-F10
- The Viqua VH200-F10 water disinfection system has a very simple controller with basic countdown timer and is not as user friendly as controllers on Viqua D4, for example.
- This system is slightly more expensive than purchasing the same individual components, but comes assembled ready to be installed, so you're paying a little more for the convenience.
- The system also cannot remove metals, hard water or chemicals. There is always a chance that some very small microorganisms can survive the UV light or are able to “hide in the shadows” when the water is cloudy. For this reason, you may need also need to install a whole-house softener or prefilter.
- Viqua replacement lamps are more expensive than generic lamps. But using any lamp other than a genuine Viqua lamp can void the warranty. Inexpensive knock-offs have been known to melt, overheat and damage the UV system.